What does social science mean to you as a doctoral researcher? What aspects of your study, context, your research topic, its subject or objects best capture the essence of social science?
We would like to invite you to enter your photograph(s) into one of four categories: Social Relations; Policy & Professions; Environment & Culture; Economy & Society
Prizes: £100 gift voucher for the best photo in each category
All winners will also receive a free pass to the summer school 2016.
We would like you to take a photo of an object, person or scene that symbolises social science to you. It could be a building, a place, an individual or group of individuals, but must be something you feel is a reflection of today's social research. It can be sensationalist or low key, abstract or real, spontaneous or staged, capturing Scotland or different places where Scottish social science is making a difference. Try to photograph something you feel strongly about, whether it's a landscape, human being or an object.
Photographs must be submitted to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org as a jpeg attachment (minimum 1 MB) stating which category the photo fits into, providing a brief description of your photo(s) that explains the content and why you feel they deserve to win. Please ensure you include the Media Consent Form where applicable. Full rules and instructions are detailed below.
Closing Date: 31st October 2015.
The winners will be chosen by a panel of student judges and members of the SGSSS Directorate. Entries will be judged on originality, interpretation of the brief and visual impact.
Full Rules and Instructions.
1. The competition is open to current PhD students in Social Science at one of the participating Scottish Universities
2. The photograph must be the entrant's own, taken no earlier than January 2011.
3. Entering a photograph in the competition will be seen as permission for using the image on our website or other publications, free of charge and without direct reference to the photographer. SGSSS reserves the right to use any entry in non-commercial publications and exhibitions, including its website.
4. We can only accept digital images.
5. You can enter a maximum total of 6 photos. Make sure the file size of each is at least 1Mb (preferably minimum of 300dpi). The image should be a JPEG. You may have to email each photograph separately depending on size of the image.
6. Pictures can be entered into one of four categories: Social Relations; Policy & Professions; Environment & Culture; Economy & Society. Provide a short description.
7. Include your name, matriculation number and the name of your university in the email.
8. You will require consent from people who are recognisable in the images, especially any students or non-university people. Images with 20+ people don't require consent (though it's good to ask all involved if they are ok about it). Please download our Media Consent Form, this must be fully completed and returned with your photograph(s) for consideration.
9. Obscene or inappropriate photographs will not be accepted and SGSSS reserves the right to reject any photographs for any reason.
10. Judging will take place within 2 weeks of the closing date and will contact all prize-winners within 21 days. The SGSSS reserves the right to withdraw the competition at any point and to elect not to award prizes for any reason.
11. The closing date of the competition is 31st October 2015.
Last updated 9 Sep 2015 4:50pm